Python for Haiku

This bug tracks the effort to include Python on Haiku
<http://bugs.python.org/issue4933>
I find this effort interesting as people are working to bring up an
interesting OS up again! I would try Haiku at some-point, now that
Python should be available.

My musts for an OS are:
1) sh
2) vim
3) net
4) mutt
5) python
6) gcc
7) X Window System
8) firefox

Guido's response on supporting Python on Haiku:
>
> I'm with Martin. In these days of distributed version control systems, I
> would think that the effort for the Haiku folks to maintain a branch of
> Python in their own version control would be minimal. It is likely that
> for each new Python version that comes out, initially it is broken on
> Haiku, and then they have to go in and fix it. Doing that in their own
> version control has the advantage that they don't have to worry about
> not breaking support for any other minority operating systems, so I
> expect that all in all the cost will be less for them than if they have
> to submit these patches to core Python; and since that will definitely
> be less work for core Python, I would call that a win-win solution.
>

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I absolutely agree. I compiled VIM 7.4 for it and passed it on to a team that has packages galore for Haiku. Maybe it will get rolled in.

I'm working on python now...

@VerbalJesse
ecofriendlybombs.weebly.com