console font and resolution in ubuntu (Hardy Heron)

When ubuntu (Hardy Heron) booted by default, the console resolution and font ( ALT-F[1-6]) were really awful. Searched a lot to arrive at this solution.

To change your Console Resolution:

sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst


Go to your default kernel line and remove splash and add vga=791
The vga argument can take values from 791 to 795, google for the resolutions.
You have to remove splash term from that line, otherwise it wont get set.

To change your console font.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

Follow the interview screens and choose the font to your preference.
For me, VGA with Size 16 worked best.

1 comment:

mandervince said...

Thanks
Thanks. I spent forever trying to find this but I didn't really know what terms to search for until I stumbled across this post. Now I can use the tty's again.